Common Maintenance Issues
- My toilet is stopped up/clogged.
- Answer : If you are having trouble getting water to flush down you toilet, it almost always needs to be plunged. If you do not have a plunger we reccommend buying one (we don;t recommend the really cheap plungers). When you plunge, make sure the hole at the bottom of the toilet is completely covered (make a vacuum-like seal). After you have plunged a bit, and it still is not going down, plunge a little more. If you are still having a problem after a lot of plunging, please call or report a maintenance request online.
- My garbage disposal is not working
- Answer : Typically if you are having trouble with the garbage disposal, it is an easy fix.
First, we recommend pressing the red reset switch/button on the side or bottom of the garbage disposal (located under the sink). If that does not work, check your GFI outlets in your kitchen. Press the test then reset button on all GFI outlets in your kitchen. If that does not do the trick, check your grey electrical service panel. Make sure all of the switches are in the "on" position. Still no luck? Sometimes under your sink there will be a tool with a hexagonal shaped head. If you have that tool, you can insert it in the bottom of the garbage disposal. Turn it back and forth (many times that will loosen up any food or debris in the disposal). Press the red reset button one last time. If it is still not working, please contact us or submit an online maintenance request.
- My dishwasher is not cleaning my dishes.
- Answer : Here are a couple recommendations. Please lightly rinse your dishes and scrape off all food before putting them in the dishwasher. Also, do not cover the center of the bottom rack (in most D/Ws that is where the water sprays up). We recommend using powder/granule dishwasher detergent (not liquid). Before you start the D/W, run hot water in your sink. Once the water is hot, start the D/W and turn off your kitchen faucet. Lastly, you may need to clean your D/W (you can clean the D/W by placing a 1 quart bowl full of white vinegar in your bottom D/W rack and run your D/W through 2 cylcles). If none of those recommendations help, please contact us or submit an online maintenance request.
- My kitchen appliances aren't working.
- Answer : We recommend checking your GFI outlets. Those are the electrical outlets with the buttons on them. Press the test then reset button. If that does not work, check your grey electrical service panel. Make sure all of the switches are in the "on" position. Lastly and it may seem obvious, but please make sure the appliances are plugged in. Still not working? Please contact us or submit an online maintenance request.
- A light bulb in my apartment has burnt out.
- Answer : If it is a bulb that you control with a switch, we ask that you replace the light bulb. If it is a unique bulb, we recommend taking the burt out bulb to the hardware store and matching it up with one there. If it is in a location where it is hard for you to reach, please buy a new light bulb and contact us. We're happy to replace any bulbs that you cannot easily reach.
- When I turn my tub/shower on, no water comes out.
- Answer : This is usually a simple fix. If you have a showerhead that has multiple settings, try to move the showerhead to a different setting. If that does not help, contact us or submit an online maintenance request.
- There are ants or other pests in my apartment.
- Answer : Make sure your home is clean (trash, food, and spills attract ants & pests). If cleaning does not help, we recommend purchasing Terro (original liquid ant killer). Place the Terro in areas where you have seen ants. Ants will crawl in the poison and take it back to their friends. You should see a significant reduction in ants within two or three days. If you are still having problems, please contact us or submit an online maintenance request.
- I think my A/C or heater is not working.
- Answer : We recommend first checking your thermostat. Make sure it is where you want it (heat, cool, or off) and that the fan is set on "auto." Also, make sure the temperature is set where you want it. If that doesn't do the trick, please check your grey electrical service. Make sure all of the switches are in the "on" position. Still not working? Please contact us or submit an online maintenance request.
- My smoke detector is making a chirping noise.
- Answer : This means the battery to your smoke detector is about to run out of juice. Please buy a 9-volt square battery and replace the old one.
- I'm having water problems.
- Answer : If you have water leaking from your toilet, kitchen, or bath sinks, turn the water shut-off valve to the leaking aplliance to "off" until water stops. The shut-off valve for your toilet is near the floor and wall, while the sink valves are under your sink cabinets near the back of the cabinet wall.
If you need to shut off water to your entire home, the main water shut-off valve is located near your water heater (its either a lever or a knob). If you have a leak, please contact us or submit an online maintenance request immediately.
Treetop Office Address
215 North Main Street, Suite 900
Davenport, IA 52801